Inscrit le: 08 Mai 2016
|Posté le: Dim 18 Juin - 07:47 (2017) Sujet du message: Beautiful Joe: The Autobiography Of A Dog (Illustrated) Dow
Beautifully illustrated by Milena Vitorovic, this edition of Beautiful Joe includes black and white drawings of:
* Beautiful Joe's mother with her litter of puppies
* The cruel milkman and his unhappy cows
* The kind Laura taking care of Beautiful Joe after his injury
* Billy the puppy, Malta the cat, and the collie (all good friends of Beautiful Joe)
* Beautiful Joe as a portrait, barking at a crow, listening to the parrot Bella, and more.
Published in 1893, Beautiful Joe was the first Canadian book to sell a million copies. A dog rescue and adoption classic, it was extremely popular in America, as well, selling almost a million copies by 1900. Told from the dog’s point of view, Beautiful Joe is based upon the true story of an abused dog (in the tradition of 1877’s Black Beauty). It reflects many of the unfortunate realities of society in those days, but it had an incredible impact upon the Western world’s ideas about humane treatment of animals. Interestingly, it is still published with the author listed as Marshall Saunders. In fact, it was written by Margaret Marshall Saunders, and published using her middle name since it was felt that no one would want to buy a book written by a woman. (She was in fact the first woman to write a book which sold a million copies!) Every animal shelter and rescue organization in America and Canada owes a debt to Beautiful Joe.
bound: 297 pages
filesize: 4220 KB